Did you know that more than 3 million people a month search Google in an attempt to figure out how to be a comedian?
But while millions of people want to become a comedian, significantly fewer understand what it takes to actually become a successful comedian.
That’s why I’ve put together the following list of 50 things that will help you figure out How To Be A Comedian Who Succeeds:
1. Try. Don’t be afraid to go after your dreams.
2. Get on stage.
3. Get on stage again.
4. Stick with it. Don’t quit.
5. Find your voice.
6. Be original. Be unique.
7. Learn from the masters.
8. Get to know your peers.
9. Be professional.
10. Embrace, empower, and appreciate every one of your fans.
11. Always be creating.
12. Understand it’s a job. A fun job, but a job.
13. Be patient.
14. Don’t be afraid to fail.
15. Don’t be afraid to succeed.
16. Don’t steal other people’s material.
17. Don’t be paranoid about other people stealing your material.
18. Your short term goal should always be to get better.
19. Your long term goal is your career.
20. Don’t just be a stand up comedian. You need to be more.
21. Learn the business of comedy. It’s just as important to know how to build a career as it is to know how to build a joke.
22. Recognize it’s not enough to just be funny.
23. Find people that connect with your view of life and make them your fanbase.
24. Don’t worry about the people that don’t get you. They don’t matter.
25. Create your own definition of success.
26. Have something to say.
27. Don’t get jealous of other comedians’ success. What they do has nothing to do with what you do.
28. Create your own opportunities.
29. Control your own career.
30. Listen to the conventional wisdom of the industry. But don’t always follow it.
31. Don’t think you’ve made it because you got representation.
32. Don’t give up.
33. Be funny. Be talented. Be lucky. Be persistent. And not necessarily in that order.
34. Understand that the comedy business is very big, but it’s also very small. Don’t burn bridges and don’t ruin your reputation.
35. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’re better than you are by only performing for friendly crowds.
36. Have a functional website, YouTube channel, Facebook page and Twitter account.
38. Practice multiple forms of comedy – stand up, acting, sketch, improv, writing, podcasting.
39. Perform in different kinds of venues for different kinds of crowds.
40. Know that being a funny person and being a comedian are not the same thing.
41. Treat every person that sees you perform as a potential lifelong fan.
42. Produce your own live show or project at some point – it will help you better understand the business.
43. Remember that your agent or manager works for you – not the other way around.
44. Understand what your strengths are as a performer and seek out opportunities to exploit them.
45. Brace yourself for the inevitable frustrations and disappointments.
46. Don’t become a jerk when you succeed.
48. Recognize that you’re competing with every other comedian in the world. But remember that you have an advantage because none of them are you.
49. Be honest. Be open. Be real.
50. Have fun!
That’s how I think you can become a successful comedian, but I’m sure you all have plenty of other thoughts about this as well. Please leave them in the comments…